Sunday, April 21, 2013

Write a Valediction

I know, I know, I have a lot of catching up to do.  It's pretty sad that I just finished writing my attempt for Day 6 of NaPoWriMo, and it's now the 21st, but sometimes things just get in the way.  Mainly me, and that's a work in progress.  Maybe the challenge now will be to just catch the hell up!

Day 6 was to write a valediction.  This is a poem of farewell.  After days of thinking about what to write, I decided on winter, which is my least favorite season.  In fact, I hate winter.  I wanted to make it more cheery like in a 'hello spring' kind of way, but I think a 'greeting' prompt actually came up later on so maybe I'll save that idea.  Here's my attempt:

Winter

Without warning
my mind is hijacked,
gnarled fingers
wrap their frozen tips around
the bone deep ache inside.

Shiver against
long days, even longer nights.

Brilliant blue skies replaced
with gray mists, needle-like
in precision.  Sharp points of
awareness beneath
death's grip.

Rise against
right now.  Breathe.


 






No comments:

Post a Comment